The final concept was the service www.offlineworkshops.com providing offsite workshops for teams. The idea is that the workshops are in real studios with craft masters. I focused on the tech industry as my research indicated the they have decent team building budgets. The service answers the brief as the studio owners who offer the workshops are themselves very time poor and have little opportunity to promote themselves. They were delighted and enthusiastic at this new approach. It also satisfied the brief for the office and tech workers as the service gives them the opportunity to learn new "hands on" craft hobbies that are away from technology.
Here are the prototypes used to test how to "take it offline." The photo of the board illustrates the many thought processes leading to the prototypes.
After the screenprinting workshop, I had the idea of providing these Digital Detox Days to the wider tech community, so created a mock up and began contacting artists workshops.
This was a fun exercise, come up with 200 ideas.
After analysing the brief, I decided to focus on peoples habits, specifically around smart-phone usage.
I organised a week long trial using the Moment iOS application which tracks time spent on a smartphone and number of pickups.
To compliment this time tracking data, I interviewed each participant at the end of the trial. The conversations were recorded.
Based on the information from the data tracking and interviews, I devised a card sorting exercise. It was designed to get participants to prioritise in order things like technological habits like messaging apps and real world habits like making eye contact in conversation.
After I had compiled all interviews, card sorting and Moment data I created profiles of each participant. I listened back to the interview recordings an noted key insights.
I also, quite randomly, met a a young man who has no smartphone or internet connection at home. I organised a phone interview as he was very much an edge case in todays connected world.
The next step was to make sense of all the insights and data. I did this by making a habit chart, bad and good. By analysing some of the existing good habits, such as "Dinner time is device free" I hoped to develop a solution that would encourage positive behaviour.
I love design research. Today we got our final brief which will be broken into three stages, Research, Prototyping and Final Design.
The brief; Design A Product, Service, System or Campaign to Help Busy, Time Poor People to Flourish. The main message from the brief is to develop a solution that helps time poor people live a healthier, happier life. I like this particular part of the brief "Your solution should have mainstream appeal and something that can become part of popular culture... please bear in mind incentives for people to use or buy it." Having this commercial twist on it really inspired me. Not only should it be something positive, it should be something lucrative!
I began by identifying the problem, asking questions and outlining assumptions about what makes people time poor.
This was our first two classes with Susan Butler, our Design in Enterprise tutor. The first class was an introduction presentation, the second was all about getting out with "customers."
I am delighted to discover we have a photo of our board, hat tip to whoever uploaded it to the shared drive! We were thrown into the deep end of design research and sent out onto the streets to solicit feedback from passers by. Our goal was simple, to find out what constitutes "The Good Life" from the people on Thomas Street. Our target are was the footfall sweet spot between NCAD and Lidl.
We were given ten minutes to prepare whatever tools we needed. What we decided to do was use one of the large presentation boards to make a happiness scale from one to ten and wrote in large letter above "How was your day." The plan was to get passers by to pin a balloon where best represented how good their day was. It was pretty ad-hoc but it worked to some degree. We spoke to about 10 people in the hour we were out there. It was hard, given we had such little time to prepare, but the lesson was well learned. Having a big prop is great for catching peoples eye. The hardest part was having the right questions to get the most conversation out of people. The biggest lesson learned from the excercise was that you don't need time to get feedback, you just need to get out there and do it!